6.26.2010

Walking Home

Disclaimer: Our camera charger is hiding somewhere unbeknownst to me, so until I find it or buy a new one, forgive me for the grainy iPhone photos.

Some days I take the bus home from work and some days I walk. Often I use the walk home to check my email or catch up with friends on the phone, and I admit yesterday was almost no different. But for some reason I decided to leave the phone in my pocket and be more aware of my surroundings. Here are just a few of the things I see on a daily basis that I took a closer look at yesterday.The first time I passed one of these it took me a second to figure it out. The second and third ones I walked by I giggled. The fourth one I finally took a picture. I believe several traffic lights went out during the crazy storm on Thursday afternoon and these are generators chained to the power for the intersection, making a lot of noise and reminding people to think "classy" when they think of Philadelphia.
I stopped at the newly opened Feder's Fresh Produce on 19th St near Spring Garden. I was very thirsty and I noticed a sign for fresh squeezed lemonade in their window, so DUH I went in. I noticed this fruit I had never heard of- Mamoncillo. I bought a tiny little branch to taste it. It is basically a hard seed covered in slimy goo and a hard skin. From what I understand you are supposed to bite into the skin and suck the goo off the seed. The flavor was good but the texture left something to be desired and it was a lot of effort for virtually no results. I'm still glad I tried it though. If there is such a thing as mamoncillo juice, I'd drink it. The lemonade was also delicious. Just sweet enough and tart with little bits of mint and lemon peel. Yummm.
I walked past The Spring Gardens, which is a one-square-block community garden that has some really cool wrought iron work around the perimeter.
I love seeing greenery and plants around the city, but what is this? CORN??? Some kind of crazy weed growing out of the side of a building in an otherwise well-tended plant bed.
I walked past the mural-in-progress-of-which-I-will-withhold-my-judgment-until-its-completion. I will say that I'm impressed with how quickly it's coming together. I am a little confused about the theme and parts of the execution. Any mural is better than a blank wall, though. Do you agree?

Have a great rest of the weekend!

1 comment:

Country Girl said...

Well, only if it didn't have Nazi propaganda on it.
There's a weed that looks like corn stalks. I don't remember what it's called, though.